Born On This Day:
- Walter Reed, 1851
- General John Pershing, 1860
- Arnold Schoenberg, 1874
- Sherwood Anderson, 1876
- Jesse Lasky, 1880
- J. B. Priestley, 1894
- Leland Hayward, 1902
- Claudette Colbert, 1905
- Roald Dahl, 1916
- Dick Haymes, 1917
- Maurice Jarre, 1924
- Mel Torme, 1925
- Yma Sumac, 1927
- Robert Indiana, 1928
- Dr. Ernest Boyer, 1928
- Barbara Bain, 1932
- Fred Silverman, 1937
- David Clayton-Thomas, 1941
- Peter Cetera, 1944
- Jacqueline Bisset, 1944
- Nell Carter, 1948
- Alain Ducasse, 1956
- Stella McCartney, 1971
Died On This Day:
- Emperor Titus, AD 81
- Dante Alighieri, 1321
- King Philip II Spain, 1598
- W. Heath Robinson, 1944
- Leopold Stokowski, 1977
- Mervyn LeRoy, 1987
- Joseph Pasternak, 1991
- Tupac Shakur drive-by shooting, 1996
- George Wallace, 1998
- 1515 - French under Francis I recover Milan from Swiss after today's Battle of Marignano.
- 1759 - British victory in Battle of Quebec leads to fall of Montreal in French/Indian War.
- 1788 - New York declared the first Federal Capital of the USA.
- 1791 - Louis XVI takes oath as Constitutional monarch of France.
- 1814 - Francis Scott Key writes poem 'Defense of Ft. McHenry' which becomes 'Star Spangled Banner.'
- 1814 - British ships bombard Fort McHenry, Baltimore MD in War of 1812.
- 1826 - A rhinoceros first exhibited at Peale's Museum in New York.
- 1845 - National Police Gazette first published; oldest weekly news magazine sensationalized crime.
- 1898 - Inventor Rev. Hannibal Goodwin of Newark receives patent on celluloid photographic film.
- 1899 - 68 year-old Henry Bliss, becomes first man to be run over and killed by horseless carriage-in NYC.
- 1918 - U.S. troops at St. Michiel capture 15,000 enemy troops. WWI.
- 1922 - Hottest day in recorded history in Libya as mercury hits 136 degrees in the shade.
- 1943 - Chiang Kai-Shek, Commander-in-chief Chinese army elected president Chinese Republic.
- 1971 - Attica Prison riot ends with 43 dead; N.Y. State police stage air and ground assault.
- 1993 - PLO's Yasser Arafat and Israel's Yitzhak Rabin confirm Middle East peace agreement in Washington DC.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Amatus or Arne
- John Chrysostom
- Eulogius of Alexandria
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...