Born On This Day:
- William Caxton, 1422
- Lucy Stone, 1818
- Annie Oakley, 1860
- John Logie Baird, 1888
- Bert Lahr, 1895
- Alfred Hitchcock, 1899
- Regis Toomey, 1902
- Lord (Alan John) Sainsbury, 1902
- Buddy Rogers, 1904
- Alfred von Krupp, 1907
- Sir Basil Spence, 1907
- William Bernbach, 1911
- Ben Hogan, 1912
- Jane Wyatt, 1912
- Archbishop Macarios, 1913
- George Shearing, 1919
- Fidel Castro, 1926
- Robert Culp, 1930
- Dan Fogelberg, 1951
Died On This Day:
- Saint Maximus, AD 662
- Eugène Delacroix, 1863
- E. J. Trelawny, 1881
- Florence Nightingale, 1910
- H. G. Wells, 1946
- King Curtis stabbed, 1971
- Tigran Petrosian, 1984
- Mickey Mantle, 1995
- Julia Child, 2004
- Brooke Astor, 2007
- Les Paul, 2009
- Helen Gurley Brown, 2012
- 1704 - Battle of Blenheim, British under Duke of Marlborough and Austrians beat French and Bavarians.
- 1814 - Eight years after occupation of the Cape of Good Hope, Dutch cede territory to Britain.
- 1876 - Premiere of Wagner's 'Der Ring des Nibelungen' in its entirety at Bayreuth.
- 1889 - William Gray of Hartford, Conn. patents the coin operated telephone.
- 1907 - Afghanistan independence recognized by Anglo-Russian convention.
- 1930 - Capt. Frank Hawkes sets air speed record flying from LA to NY in 12 hours, 25 minutes.
- 1942 - Disney's 'Bambi' premieres.
- 1946 - Carl E. Weller of Easton, PA receives patent on the soldering gun.
- 1961 - Berlin Wall barbed wire erected to prevent the collapse of East German state by sealing border.
- 1964 - Last two executions of murderers in Britain: Walton prison, Liverpool and Strangeways, Manchester.
- 1966 - Great Cultural Revolution in China led by Mao Tse-tung to prevent capitalism, build socialism.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Tikhon of Zadonsk
- Radegunda (died today A.D. 587)
- Hippolytus of Rome,
- Cassian of Imola
- Narses the Gracious
- Independence Day Central African Republic (1960)
- International Left-hander's day
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...