Born On This Day:
- Pope Innocent XIII, 1655
- Empress Maria Theresa, 1717
- King John VI Portugal, 1769
- Pope Pius IX, 1792
- Sir Arthur Sullivan, 1842
- Georges Braque, 1882
- Daphne du Maurier, 1907
- Joe Louis, 1914
- Beatrice Arthur, 1926
- Herbert Ross, 1927
- Clive Barnes, 1927
- Luciano Benetton, 1935
- Bruce Chatwin, 1940
- Ritchie Valens, 1941
- Tim Pigott-Smith, 1946
- Franklyn Ajaye, 1949
- Zoe Wanamaker, 1949
- Stevie Wonder, 1950
- Dennis Rodman, 1961
Died On This Day:
- Cyrus McCormick, 1884
- Sholem Aleichem, 1916
- Prince Aly Khan killed, 1960
- Gary Cooper, 1961
- Saul Steinberg, 1999
- Gene Sarazen, 1999
- Dr. Joyce Brothers, 2013
- Margot Kidder, 2018
- Doris Day, 2019
- 1568 - Mary Queen of Scots defeated at Battle of Langside.
- 1607 - First permanent English settlement made at Jamestown, VA; 100 colonists on left bank of Powhatan.
- 1779 - Treaty of Teschen ends War of Bavarian Succession. Austria loses Bavaria.
- 1787 - 11 ships set sail from Portsmouth with 548 Brit male and 188 female convicts bound for Australia.
- 1830 - Quito becomes the Republic of Ecuador.
- 1846 - U.S. finally declares war against Mexico although it had been happening since March.
- 1871 - Pope gets possession of Vatican under Italy's 'Law of Guarantees.'
- 1888 - Serfdom abolished in Brazil.
- 1897 - Guglielmo Marconi sends first ever wireless communication over open sea from Bristol Channel to South Wales - 3.7 miles; Morse code message reads "Are you ready?"
- 1912 - Royal Flying Corps, later to become the Royal Air Force established in England.
- 1917 - Vision of Fatima in Portugal. Three children site miracle Lady for first time.
- 1918 - First issue of 6˘, 16˘ and 24˘ airmail stamp in America; two days later airmail service starts.
- 1940 - Churchill's 'blood, toil, tears and sweat' speech before House of Commons - 3 days after election.
- 1954 - 'The Pajama Game,' Broadway musical directed by George Abbott, opens in New York.
- 1981 - Pope John Paul II shot, seriously wounded in St. Peter's Square Vatican City by Turkish terrorist.
- 2007 - Two million people gather in Izmir, Turkey for the Republic Protests.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Robert Bellarmine
- Andrew Fournet
- Euthymius the Enlightener
- VESAK (Commemoration of birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha) celebrated Southeast Asia.
- MOTHER'S DAY (U.S.), second Sunday in May
- FESTIVAL OF JOAN OF ARC in France, second Sunday in May
- MEMORIAL DAY (U.S.), Last Monday in May
- PROCESSION OF THE HOLY BLOOD in Belgium on first Monday after May 2.
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- ASCENSION DAY (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTACOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- I'D AL-HAJJ, Muslim Festival
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- BUDDHA PURNIMA, Hindu Festival, celebrated early May
- GANGA DASSHERA, Hindu Festival, celebrated end of May
- ARMED FORCES DAY in US - third Saturday in May
- NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER in US - first Thursday in May
- NATIONAL DEFENSE TRANSPORTATION DAY - third Friday in May in US
- NATIONAL TEACHER'S DAY - Tuesday in the first full week in May in US
- VICTORIA DAY - first Monday before May 25, celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday in Canada
- WESAK FESTIVAL celebrated in the eastern hemisphere at the Taurus full moon, beginning of May
- GOODWILL FESTIVAL celebrated at the Gemini full moon, end of May
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...