Born On This Day:
- King Francis I of France, 1494
- Richard Jordan Gatling, 1818
- Charles Dudley Warner, 1829
- Anselm Feuerbach, 1829
- Herbert Asquith, 1852
- H. L. Mencken, 1880
- Maurice Chevalier, 1888
- Alfred A. Knopf, 1892
- Ben Shahn, 1898
- Jesse Owens, 1913
- Ian Holm, 1931
- George Jones, 1931
- Margo St. James, 1937
- Maria Muldaur, 1943
- Barry White, 1944
- Linda Gray, 1944
Died On This Day:
- Emperor Andronicus I, 1185
- Pope Innocent VI, 1362
- John Alden, 1687
- Peter Mark Roget, 1869
- Rupert D'Oyly Carte, 1948
- William Boyd, 1972
- Robert Lowell, 1977
- Steven Biko killed, 1977
- Anthony Perkins AIDS, 1992
- Raymond Burr, 1993
- Tom Ewell, 1994
- Johnny Cash, 2003
- Jack Kramer, 2009
- Claude Chabrol, 2010
- Ray Dolby, 2013
- 1609 - Hudson River discovered by English navigator/explorer Henry Hudson.
- 1654 - 23 Jewish refugees from Portugal arrive at Dutch colony of New Amsterdam and are allowed to stay.
- 1846 - Robert Browning marries Elizabeth Barrett.
- 1873 - E. Remington & Sons of Ilion, NY manufacture their first Type-writer.
- 1878 - Cleopatra's Needle erected on the Thames Embankment.
- 1908 - Winston Churchill marries Clementine.
- 1910 - First uniformed woman policewoman in America, Alice Stebbins Wells, hits the beat in Los Angeles.
- 1932 - Reichstag dissolved in Germany.
- 1940 - Painted caves at Lascaux, France, first explored by five boys lead by Marcel Ravidat.
- 1943 - Mussolini rescued by Germans from prison.
- 1948 - Korean People's Republic (North Korea) proclaimed.
- 1953 - John F. Kennedy marries Jacqueline Bouvier at Newport, RI.
- 1958 - Texas Instrument new employee Jack Kilby demonstrates his new invention - the microchip.
- 1970 - Arab commandos blow up hijacked airliners in Jordan.
- 1970 - Concorde aircraft lands for the first time at Heathrow airport London; many noise complaints.
- 1992 - Space shuttle Endeavor takes off with first black woman, first Japanese person and married couple.
- 2001 - Following attacks on Pentagon and WTC, President George W. Bush declares war on terrorism.
- 2004 - Category 5 Hurricane Ivan strikes Jamaica killing 16; sixth-strongest recorded hurricane in Atlantic
Feast Day of Saint:
- National Revolution day in Ethiopia
- Independence Day in Cape Verde
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...