Born On This Day:
- George IV, 1762
- Diamond Jim Brady, 1856
- Mary Roberts Rinehart, 1876
- Christy Mathewson, 1880
- Radclyffe Hall, 1880
- Cecil B. DeMille, 1881
- Cantinflas (Mario Moreno Reyes), 1911
- Michael Kidd, 1919
- Ross and Norris McWhirter, 1925
- John Derek, 1926
- Buck Owens, 1929
- George Soros, 1930
- William Goldman, 1931
- John Poindexter, 1936
- George Hamilton, 1939
- Mark Knopfler, 1949
- Pete Sampras, 1971
Died On This Day:
- King Philip VI France, 1350
- Pope Sixtus IV, 1484
- King Philip of the Wampanoags, 1676
- Pope Innocent XI, 1689
- William Blake, 1827
- George Stephenson, 1848
- James Russell Lowell, 1891
- Wilhelm Steinitz, 1900
- Rev. William Booth, 1912
- Thomas Mann, 1929
- Ian Fleming, 1964
- Henry Fonda, 1982
- B. Kliban, 1990
- John Cage, 1992
- Merce Cunningham, 1992
- Loretta Young, 2000
- Merv Griffin, 2007
- 3 BC - One hour 20 minutes before sunrise Jupiter rises in conjunction with Venus causing blazing light in sky; was it later interpreted as the Star of Bethlehem?
- 1676 - Indian War in New England, King Philip's War, ends; five Indian tribes virtually destroyed.
- 1759 - Austrian & Russian armies beat Frederick II Prussia, occupy Berlin in Battle of Kunersdorf.
- 1851 - Isaac Merritt Singer of New York patents his version of the sewing machine - first to succeed.
- 1853 - Florence Nightingale,33, begins nursing career as unsalaried superintendent at 1 Upper Harley St.
- 1877 - Thomas Alva Edison makes first drawing of machine which in 15 weeks would be a tinfoil phonograph.
- 1883 - Extinction of the Quagga; last Zebra-like mammal dies at Amsterdam Zoo.
- 1888 - Mrs. Bertha Benz takes world's first long distance car trip driving sons 100 miles from Mannhein.
- 1898 - U.S. formally annexes Hawaii.
- 1898 - End of the Spanish-American War with the signing of a peace protocol; US gets Puerto Rico, Guam.
- 1908 - First Model T Ford produced. Goes on sale October first.
- 1912 - First foreign film, 'Queen Elizabeth' from France starring Sarah Bernhardt, opens in NY.
- 1914 - First shot fired in WWI by British soldier; France, Britain declare war on Austria-Hungary.
- 1918 - America's first regular airmail service begins between New York City and Washington DC.
- 1949 - Fourth Geneva Convention protecting civilian victims in the hands of an enemy is ratified.
- 1955 - U.S. minimum wage raised to $1.00 per hour.
- 1960 - First passive communications satellite, Echo I, launched by NASA.
- 1961 - 2500 people cross from East to West Berlin; Erich Honecker decides to seal East Berlin borders.
- 1980 - First giant panda born in captivity in a Mexican zoo.
- 1981 - IBM introduces its personal computer costing $1,565 and boasting 40K Ram and 256K hard drive
- 1985 - 520 dead, 4 live as Japan Air Lines jumbo jet crashes into mountain northwest of Tokyo.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Ponce de Leon Day in Puerto Rico
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...