Born On This Day:
- Edward Lear, 1812
- Florence Nightingale, 1820
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti, 1828
- Henry Cabot Lodge Sr., 1850
- Philip Wylie, 1902
- Wilfrid Hyde-White, 1903
- Gordon Jenkins, 1910
- Mary Kay Ash, 1918
- Julius Rosenberg, 1918
- Tony Hancock, 1924
- Yogi Berra, 1925
- John Simon, 1925
- Burt Bacharach, 1929
- Frank Stella, 1936
- Tom Snyder, 1936
- George Carlin, 1937
- Ron Ziegler, 1939
- Steve Winwood, 1949
- Gabriel Byrne, 1950
- Ving Rhames, 1961
- Bruce Boxleitner, 1962
- Emilio Estevez, 1962
Died On This Day:
- Pope Silvester II, 1003
- Earl of Strafford beheaded, 1641
- Wilhelm von Schlegel, 1845
- Amy Lowell, 1925
- Erich von Stroheim, 1957
- John Masefield, 1967
- Lillian Roth, 1980
- Jean Dubuffet, 1985
- Robert Reed AIDS 1992, 1992
- Perry Como, 2001
- Robert Rauschenberg, 2008
- Julius La Rosa, 2016
- 1870 - Manitoba made Canadian province.
- 1873 - First postcard issued in U.S.
- 1888 - British protectorate over North Borneo and Brunei begins.
- 1926 - General strike ends in Britain with 14,220,000 working days lost.
- 1926 - Three days after Byrd claims first flight over North Pole, Roald Amundsen really does it on dirigible.
- 1932 - Body of kidnapped Lindbergh baby found in Sourland Mountains; 100,000 officers fail in search.
- 1937 - Coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth following abdication of his brother - Edward VII.
- 1949 - Berlin blockade lifted.
- 1950 - American Bowling Congress forced to remove color bar and admit Black bowlers.
- 1955 - Last El (elevated train) runs at 6:04 p.m. in New York; Third Avenue El from Chinatown to Bronx.
- 1971 - Mick Jagger marries Bianca Perez Morena de Macias.
- 1982 - Six year-old golf prodigy Tiger Woods, hits his first hole-in-one.
- 2008 - 7.9 earthquake strikes Sichuan in South West China; 74,000 dead or missing; 5 million homeless.
- 2011 - Queen Elizabeth surpasses George III to become Britain's second longest reigning monarch. Will she pass Victoria in Sept. 2015?
- 2012 - 1923 prototype Leica camera sold for record 2.16 million euros at Galerie Westlicht Vienna auction.
- 2014 - Contemporary Art auction at Christies New York becomes most expensive single auction in history reaping $744.9 million ; Calder, Stella, Bacon and Barnett Newman triumph.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Dominic of the Causeway
- John Stone
- Ignatius of Laconi
- Birthday of J.V. Snellman in Finland
- VESAK (Commemoration of birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha) celebrated Southeast Asia.
- MOTHER'S DAY (U.S.), second Sunday in May
- FESTIVAL OF JOAN OF ARC in France, second Sunday in May
- MEMORIAL DAY (U.S.), Last Monday in May
- PROCESSION OF THE HOLY BLOOD in Belgium on first Monday after May 2.
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- ASCENSION DAY (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTACOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- I'D AL-HAJJ, Muslim Festival
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- BUDDHA PURNIMA, Hindu Festival, celebrated early May
- GANGA DASSHERA, Hindu Festival, celebrated end of May
- ARMED FORCES DAY in US - third Saturday in May
- NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER in US - first Thursday in May
- NATIONAL DEFENSE TRANSPORTATION DAY - third Friday in May in US
- NATIONAL TEACHER'S DAY - Tuesday in the first full week in May in US
- VICTORIA DAY - first Monday before May 25, celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday in Canada
- WESAK FESTIVAL celebrated in the eastern hemisphere at the Taurus full moon, beginning of May
- GOODWILL FESTIVAL celebrated at the Gemini full moon, end of May
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...