Born On This Day:
- Carl Zeiss, 1816
- Benjamin Tillett, 1860
- O. Henry, 1862
- D. H. Lawrence, 1885
- Hedy Lamarr, 1914
- Jessica Mitford, 1917
- Ferdinand Marcos, 1917
- Tom Landry, 1924
- Robert Packwood, 1932
- Earl Holliman, 1936
- Brian DePalma, 1940
- Lola Falana, 1943
- Kristy McNichol, 1962
- Harry Connick Jr., 1967
Died On This Day:
- Jan Smuts, 1950
- Robert Service, 1958
- Pier Angeli suicide, 1971
- Nikita Khrushchev, 1971
- Salvador Allende suicide, 1973
- Lorne Greene, 1987
- Peter Tosh shot, 1987
- Jessica Tandy, 1994
- John Ritter, 2003
- Fred Ebb, 2004
- 1683 - Humiliation for the armies of Islam as they are turned back from the gates of Vienna. (see 2001)
- 1697 - Battle of Zenta; Austria becomes foremost power in central Europe in win over Ottomans.
- 1777 - Battle of Brandywine (Delaware)-British under General Howe defeat George Washington's men.
- 1789 - Alexander Hamilton appointed first Secretary of the Treasury by George Washington.
- 1841 - First commuter train goes into service in England between London and Brighton.
- 1841 - Painter John Goffe Rand patents the squeezable tube (for artist's paints).
- 1847 - Stephen Foster's big hit song 'Susanna' first performed at the Eagle Saloon in Pittsburgh.
- 1850 - Jenny Lind, the Swedish Nightingale, makes American debut under the auspices of P.T. Barnum.
- 1909 - Halley's comet first observed at Heidelberg.
- 1928 - World's first television play 'The Queen's Messenger' broadcast by WGY TV, Schenectady N.Y.
- 1951 - Stravinsky's only opera, "The Rake's Progress" premieres at Teatro La Fenice in Venice conducted by the composer.
- 1952 - World’s first implantation of an artificial heart valve in a human by Charles Hufnagel at Georgetown University Hospital.
- 1954 - First telecast of a Miss America pageant from Atlantic City. Bert Parks MC'd.
- 1978 - Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov stabbed by ricin poison dart fired from umbrella on Waterloo Bridge, London.
- 2001 - Terrorist strike NY; Islamic suicide bombers crash two jets into World Trade Centre; another hits the Pentagon; 2,973 dead plus 19 hijackers.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Protus and Hyacinth
- Patriot Day in US in honor of those who lost lives in terrorist attacks of 9/11
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...