Born On This Day:
- Robert G. Ingersoll, 1833
- Enid Blyton, 1897
- Lloyd Nolan, 1909
- Alex Haley, 1921
- Carl Rowan, 1925
- Mike Douglas, 1925
- Arlene Dahl, 1928
- Rev. Jerry Falwell, 1933
- Jimmy Webb, 1946
- Eric Carmen, 1949
- Steve Wozniak, 1950
- Hulk Hogan, 1953
- Joe Jackson, 1954
- Carolyn Murphy, 1975
Died On This Day:
- King John I Portugal, 1433
- John Henry Cardinal Newman, 1890
- Andrew Carnegie, 1919
- Edith Wharton, 1937
- Jackson Pollock killed, 1956
- Alfred Knopf, 1984
- Clara Peller, 1987
- Peter Cushing, 1994
- Phil Harris, 1995
- Mike Douglas, 2006
- Robin Williams suicide, 2014
- 1711 - First Ascot race meeting in honor of Queen Anne.
- 1874 - Sprinkler head patented by H.S. Parmelee of New Haven, Conn.
- 1877 - Thomas A. Edison describes fundamentals of phonograph to assistant and orders prototype.
- 1877 - Two moons of Mars discovered by Asaph Hall who names them Phobos and Deimos.
- 1904 - Herero tribesmen in Namibia defeated by Germans at Waterberg leading to genocide on October 2.
- 1920 - Treaty of Riga signed by Russia recognizing Latvia as independent state. Russia had invaded in 1919.
- 1930 - American Lutheran Church organized in Toledo, Ohio.
- 1934 - Alcatraz Island opens as penitentiary; first prisoners incarcerated.
- 1942 - New Waterloo bridge opens to traffic in London.
- 1951 - First color TV broadcast of a baseball game-Brooklyn Dodgers vs. Boston Braves in NY.
- 1954 - French defeated in Vietnam after seven years of fighting.
- 1964 - New York premiere of first Beatles' movie 'A Hard Day's Night.'
- 1965 - Watts race riots in Los Angeles start, go on for six days; 35 deaths $200 million in damages.
- 1979 - Manchu River Dam in Morvi, Gujarat, India bursts killing 5,000.
- 1984 - Ronnie Reagan's radio gaff - announces Russia outlawed and bombing to begin - over live mike!
- 1999 - Total eclipse today, Wednesday, at 11:11 a.m. in England, first time Moon blots out Sun since 1927.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Independence Day Chad (1960)
- Heroes' Day in Zimbabwe
- Carnival in Grenada
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...