Born On This Day:
- Robert the Bruce King of Scotland, 1274
- Thomas Bowdler, 1754
- John Quincy Adams, 1767
- John Wanamaker, 1838
- Thomas Mitchell, 1892
- E.B. White, 1899
- Yul Brynner, 1915
- Tab Hunter, 1931
- Georgio Armani, 1934
- Bonnie Pointer, 1951
- Leon Spinks, 1953
Died On This Day:
- Alfred Dreyfus, 1935
- George Gershwin, 1937
- Aga Khan, 1957
- Robert Ryan, 1973
- Ross Macdonald, 1983
- Lord Laurence Olivier, 1989
- Lady Bird Johnson, 2007
- 1302 - Battle of Golden Spurs at Courtrai, Flanders. Underdog weavers beat mounted knights.
- 1656 - First Quakers arrive in America-Ann Austin and Mary Fisher land at Boston from Barbados.
- 1690 - Battle of the Boyne ends. William III wins over James II.
- 1708 - Lord Marlborough and Prince Eugene beat the French at the Battle of Oudenarde.
- 1791 - Voltaire's funeral in Paris attracts one million mourners.
- 1804 - Aaron Burr mortally wounds Alexander Hamilton in duel at Weehawken, New Jersey.
- 1860 - Massacre of Christians at Damascus ends.
- 1947 - Refugee ship President Warfield, later renamed Exodus 1947, sets sail from Sete, France at 01.00 hrs for Palestine with 4,554 concentration camp survivors aboard.
- 1962 - First TV transatlantic satellite transmission from US to London's BT Goonhilly Earth Station.
- 1972 - Former Beatle Paul McCartney debuts new band Wings at Toulon in the South of France.
- 1973 - Billie Jean King beats Bobby Riggs in hyped TV tennis 'Battle of the Sexes' seen by 50 million.
- 1991 - Total solar eclipse.
- 2006 - Terrorists in Mumbai bomb seven trains killing 190.
- 2019 - Another record for the Dow: today it closed up 228 points, or 0.85%, at 27,088
Feast Day of Saint:
- Saint Placidus Festival celebrated in Switzerland
- National Holiday in Mongolia
- JAGANNATH, RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- NEBUTA, Japanese Festival at peak of summer to drive off lethargy
- SOMA NOMAOI, Japanese Festival of samurai equestrian displays
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...