Born On This Day:
- Alexander Hamilton, 1757
- Lord Curzon, 1859
- Harry Gordon Selfridge, 1864
- Alice Hegan Rice, 1870
- Eva Le Gallienne, 1899
- Alan Paton, 1903
- Pierre Mendes-France, 1907
- Roy Jenkins, 1920
- Grant Tinker, 1926
- Rod Taylor, 1930
- Bobby Goldsboro, 1941
- Clarence Clemons, 1942
- Jim Hightower, 1943
- Naomi Judd, 1946
- Ben Crenshaw, 1952
- Vince Carter, 1977
Died On This Day:
- Francis Scott Key, 1843
- Thomas Hardy, 1928
- Emanuel Lasker, 1941
- Eva Tanguay, 1947
- Alberto Giacometti,, 1966
- Eric Rohmer, 2010
- Ariel Sharon, 2014
- Anita Ekberg, 2015
- 1770 - Benjamin Franklin ships first batch of Rhubarb to America from England.
- 1782 - Dutch surrender to British.
- 1790 - United Belgium formed.
- 1861 - Benito Juarez occupies Mexico City.
- 1917 - Thomas Edison's electric vote recorder patented in 1869 first used in the Wisconsin Assembly.
- 1922 - Only two months after isolating insulin, the drug is successfully administered to 14 year old Canadian diabetes sufferer..
- 1935 - Amelia Earhart begins flight from Honolulu to Oakland, CA, becoming first woman to fly Pacific Ocean solo.
- 1946 - Albania declared a republic.
- 1954 - First live television weather forecast broadcast on BBC Television in London featuring George Cowling.
- 1963 - America's first disco, the Whisky A-go-go opens in Los Angeles.
- 1964 - Surgeon General first reports that cigarettes are 'a definite health hazard.'
- 1973 - Designated hitter rule inaugurated in American League baseball; Yankee Ron Blomberg is first 4/6/73.
- 2001 - State of California runs out of electricity; energy demands from high technology bring major cuts.
- 2020 - China reports first known death from coronavirus.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Paulinus of Aquileia
- Salvius or Sauve of Amiens
- Theodosius the Cenobiarch (d. today 529)
- YÜAN TAN. Chinese New Year's Day. Based on lunar calendar - starts sunset on day of 2nd New Moon.
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL 15th day of first month of lunar calendar marks end of Chinese New Year.
- TU BI-SHEBAT (Judaism) New Year for Trees, celebrated on 15th of lunar month Shebat.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY 3rd Monday in January
- ADULTS DAY in Japan - second Monday in January - 'Seijin no hi'
- SNOW FESTIVAL - Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God
- VASANT PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of Spring and of Saraswati, Goddess of Learning (end of January)
- PONGAL AND MAKARA SANKRANTI, mid-January, Harvest festival celebrated in Southern India and Singapore
- LAILAT AL MIRAJ Muslim Festival celebrating ascent of Muhammad into Heaven
- JAPANESE NEW YEAR - 3 day festival
- LOHRI, the Hindu Bonfire Festival, celebrated early January
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...