Born On This Day:
- Camillo Benso, conte di Cavour, 1810
- Herbert Hoover, 1874
- Jack Haley, 1899
- Norma Shearer, 1900
- Rhonda Fleming, 1923
- Jimmy Dean, 1928
- Eddie Fisher, 1928
- Ronnie Spector, 1947
- Ian Anderson, 1947
- Patti Austin, 1950
- Rosanna Arquette, 1959
- Antonio Banderas, 1960
Died On This Day:
- King Ferdinand VI Spain, 1754
- Rin Tin Tin, 1932
- Adela Rogers St. Johns, 1988
- Isaac Hayes, 2008
- 1622 - Province of Maine granted to John Mason and Ferdinando Gorges.
- 1628 - 3 masted 64 gun Swedish warship, Vasa, sinks on maiden voyage outside Stockholm. (raised 1956).
- 1792 - Paris Tuileries stormed by mob; 600 Swiss Guard massacred in 3 hr. battle; Louis XVI imprisoned.
- 1809 - Ecuador revolts against Spain.
- 1815 - Napoleon banished to Saint Helena.
- 1821 - Missouri becomes the 24th state admitted to Union.
- 1846 - Smithsonian Institute established in Washington, DC.
- 1893 - Prototype of the first diesel compression ignition engine tested by Dr. Rudolf Diesel in Augsburg.
- 1900 - First Davis cup tennis matches; U.S. beats visiting British 3-0.
- 1910 - First airmail service organized in Britain.
- 1921 - Franklin Delano Roosevelt, future President, stricken with polio on Campobello Island, New Brunswick.
- 1954 - St. Lawrence Seaway launched.
- 1970 - McSorley's bar in NY admits first female; anti-sex discrimination in public places becomes law.
- 1993 - Ruth Bader Ginsburg is sworn in as the second female Supreme Court justice (after Sandra Day O'Connor confirmed 9/21/81).
- 2003 - Temperature hits 100 degrees in the UK and London for first time in history; heat wave continues.
- 2010 - Northwest China devastated by torrential rains and mudslides; avalanche levels town of Zhouqu; 1,248 dead.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Day of Yashodhara wife of Buddha,
- Independence Day Ecuador (1809)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...