Born On This Day:
- Englebert Humperdinck, 1854
- Gentleman Jim Corbett, 1866
- Kin Hubbard (Frank McKinney), 1868
- Edgar Rice Burroughs, 1875
- Walter Reuther, 1907
- Richard Farnsworth, 1920
- Yvonne de Carlo, 1922
- Vittorio Gassman, 1922
- Rocky Marciano, 1923
- Sunny von Bulow, 1932
- George Maharis, 1933
- Conway Twitty, 1933
- Lily Tomlin, 1939
- Barry Gibb, 1946
- Gloria Estafan, 1957
Died On This Day:
- Pope Adrian IV (Nicholas Breakspear), 1159
- Jacques Cartier, 1557
- King Louis XIV France, 1715
- William Clark, 1838
- Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, 1912
- Dennis Brain killed, 1957
- Eero Saarinen, 1961
- Drew Pearson, 1969
- Ethel Waters, 1977
- Albert Speer, 1981
- Henry 'Scoop' Jackson, 1983
- Sir James Pitman, 1985
- Morris Carnovsky, 1992
- 338 BC - King Philip II of Macedonia defeats allies, Thebes and Athens, at Battle of Chaeronea in Greece.
- 312 BC - Greek Era of Seleucus begins.
- 1422 - Henry VI becomes youngest King of England (9 months old) succeeding his father Henry V.
- 1661 - Charles II and brother James, Duke of York, stage first yachting race; Greenwich to Gravesend.
- 1853 - First triangular postage stamps issued in Cape of Good Hope.
- 1859 - First railway sleeping car goes into service, invented by George M. Pullman.
- 1870 - Germans beat French at Battle of Sedan; leads to fall of 2nd French Empire.
- 1879 - Britain signs peace treaty with Zulu chiefs ending British-Zulu War.
- 1894 - First use of postcards with adhesive stamps in Britain.
- 1897 - America's first subway, nicknamed the "T" opens in Boston.
- 1902 - Mount Pelee volcano erupts again in Martinique after only four months; 2,000 die.
- 1904 - Deaf, dumb and blind Helen Keller graduates with honors from Radcliffe College.
- 1905 - Provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan formed in Canada.
- 1914 - Last passenger pigeon, Martha, dies at Cincinnati Zoo.
- 1920 - State of Lebanon created by the French.
- 1923 - 142,807 die in 8.3 killer earthquake (Great Kanto Earthquake) in Japan destroying Yokohama and half of Tokyo.
- 1933 - H.G. Wells 'The Shape of Things to Come' published.
- 1939 - German troops invade Poland triggering WWII.
- 1953 - The Dupont Co. starts producing Teflon.
- 1969 - Muammar Gaddafi, 27 year-old army captain, leads successful bloodless military coup against King Idris I of Libya.
- 1972 - Bobby Fischer beats Boris Spassky at Reykjavik, Iceland to become first U.S. world chess champion.
- 1975 - 'Gunsmoke' goes off the air after 19 years 11 3/4 months of continuous broadcast.
- 1978 - Earthquake in Zarand, Iran; 7.1 magnitude; kills 12,230.
- 1983 - Soviets shoot down Korean Airlines Flight 007 from New York to Seoul-all 269 dead.
- 1985 - 73 years after sinking, wreckage of the 'Titanic' found 95 miles off coast of Newfoundland.
- 2004 - Chechen rebels hold 1,000 school children, parents and teachers hostage at Beslan, North Ossetia.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Festival of the Hungry Ghosts in Singapore.
- Independence Day Qatar (1971)
- Wattle Day in Australia
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...