Born On This Day:
- King Pedro the Cruel of Castile & Leon, 1334
- Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, 1797
- Huey Long, 1893
- Raymond Massey, 1896
- Shirley Booth, 1898
- Roy Wilkins, 1901
- John Gunther, 1901
- Fred MacMurray, 1908
- Joan Blondell, 1912
- Dennis Healy, 1917
- Geoffrey Beene, 1927
- Warren Buffett, 1930
- Elizabeth Ashley, 1939
- Jean-Claude Killy, 1943
- Robert Crumb, 1943
- Paul Allen, 1953
- Timothy Bottoms, 1961
- Cameron Diaz, 1972
Died On This Day:
- Cleopatra and Mark Antony suicide (trad), 30 BC
- King Louis XI France, 1483
- Antony van Leeuwenhoek , 1723
- Charles Coburn, 1961
- Taylor Caldwell, 1985
- Lindsay Anderson, 1994
- Charles Bronson, 2003
- Glenn Ford, 2006
- 1721 - Treaty of Nystadt between Sweden and Russia ends Great Northern War.
- 1813 - Creek Indians under Red Eagle massacre 500 settlers at Fort Mims, Alabama. Creek Indian War.
- 1860 - First trams run in Britain operated by the Birkenhead Street Railway.
- 1884 - Third Avenue Theatre in New York becomes first to employ woman ushers.
- 1901 - British patent for vacuum cleaner granted to Scotsman Hubert Cecil Booth.
- 1914 - First German air raid on Paris, WWI.
- 1918 - Attempted assassination of Lenin in Moscow by Fanya Dora Kaplin & sister; Lenin hit by two bullets.
- 1941 - Nazi siege of Leningrad begins. WWII
- 1963 - Telephone hot line between The White House and the Kremlin installed.
- 1979 - Hurricane David begins week-long attack on Caribbean and Eastern U.S. 1,000 die.
- 1984 - Third space shuttle 'Discovery' begins first mission.
- 2005 - Hurricane Katrina decimates the cities of New Orleans and Beloxi MS.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Rose of Lima
- Felix and Adauctus
- St. Rose of Lima's Day celebrated in Peru and Saint Lucia
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- Japanese visit graves of ancestors mid August
- GANESHA CHATURTHI, Hindu Festival of the Elephant God end of August
- FRIENDSHIP DAY - first Sunday in August in USA
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...