Born On This Day:
- Gustav Mahler, 1860
- Marc Chagall, 1887
- George Cukor, 1899
- Vittorio De Sica, 1901
- Satchel Paige, 1906
- Robert Heinlein, 1907
- Gian Carlo Menotti, 1911
- William Kunstler, 1919
- Pierre Cardin, 1922
- Doc Severinson, 1927
- Ringo Starr, 1940
- Michael Howard, 1941
- Bill Oddie, 1941
- Shelley Duvall, 1949
- Jessica Hahn, 1959
- Michelle Kwan, 1980
Died On This Day:
- King Edward I, 1307
- Olivier Le Vasseur hanged, 1730
- Richard Brinsley Sheridan, 1816
- Pierre Lorillard IV, 1901
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1930
- Veronica Lake, 1973
- Dore Schary , 1980
- Herman Kahn, 1983
- Dame Flora Robson, 1984
- John Scarne, 1985
- Syd Barrett, 2006
- 1730 - Pirate Olivier Le Vasseur, known as La Buze (the buzzard), hanged in Reunion; his treasure, believed to be buried in Seychelles, lies unfound.
- 1806 - Cornerstone laid on first American Cathedral-Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary, Baltimore.
- 1807 - Treaty of Tilsit between France, Russia & Prussia begins negotiations.
- 1846 - California annexed by U.S. as Mexican garrison surrenders at Monterey.
- 1865 - First woman hanged by U.S. Government - Mary Surratt for conspiracy in Abraham Lincoln assassination.
- 1898 - Hawaii annexed by U.S.
- 1927 - World's first disk jockey, Christopher Stone, broadcasts on BBC
- 1928 - Chillicothe Baking Company of Missouri produces the world's first sliced bread, 'Kleen Maid Sliced Bread,' the best thing since...
- 1937 - Japanese troops exchange fire with Chinese at the Marco Polo Bridge outside Peking starting 8-year war.
- 1946 - At St. Peters in Rome, Mother Francis Xavier Cabrini canonized-First American citizen Saint.
- 1979 - Billy Jean King wins 20th Wimbledon title breaking old record of Elizabeth Ryan who died yesterday.
- 1981 - First solar-powered aircraft, Solar Challenger designed by Paul McCready, makes first flight from Pontoise, France to Manston, England in 5 hours, 23 minutes.
- 1981 - Sandra Day O'Connor becomes first woman nominated Justice of Supreme Court by Ronald Reagan.
- 2004 - 8"x10" Vermeer painting, "Young Woman Seated at the Virginals" sold at Sothebys for £16.4 million.
- 2005 - Seven bombs detonated in London Underground and buses by Al Qaeda terrorists.
- 2009 - Michael Jackson's funeral and memorial at the Staples Center, Los Angeles, is seen by a billion people worldwide on TV and Internet.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Cyril and Methodius, Ethelburga, Hedda
- Prosper of Aquitaine, Willibald
- Tanabata-Matsuri - Japanese Festival of the Stars
- Saba Saba Day in Tanzania
- Independence Day Solomon Islands (1978)
- JAGANNATH, RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- NAGA PANCHAMI, Hindu Festival of the Serpent God
- RAKHI, Hindu Festival to Pledge Protection
- CHUNG-CH'IU, Mid-autumn festival, Harvest or Moon Festival (fifteenth day of the eighth moon)
- TISH'AH B'AB (Jewish) Anniversary of fall of Jerusalem and destruction of first & 2nd temples Ab 9
- NEBUTA, Japanese Festival at peak of summer to drive off lethargy
- SOMA NOMAOI, Japanese Festival of samurai equestrian displays
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...