Born On This Day:
- Henry Cavendish, 1731
- Giuseppe Verdi, 1813
- Paul Kruger, 1825
- Queen Isabella II Spain, 1830
- Helen Hayes, 1900
- Alberto Giacometti, 1901
- Vernon Duke, 1903
- Claude Simon, 1913
- Thelonious Monk, 1920
- James Clavell, 1924
- Harold Pinter, 1930
- Adlai Stevenson III, 1930
- Daniel Massey, 1933
- Ben Vereen, 1946
- John Prine, 1946
- Charles Dance, 1946
- David Lee Roth, 1952
- Sharon Osbourne, 1952
- Martina Navratilova, 1956
- Tanya Tucker, 1958
- Dale Earnhardt, Jr., 1974
Died On This Day:
- Fanny Fern (Sara Payson Willis Parton), 1872
- William H. Seward, 1872
- Eddie Cantor, 1964
- Jacques Brel, 1978
- Sir Ralph Richardson, 1983
- Yul Brynner, 1985
- Orson Welles, 1985
- Herbert Ross, 2001
- Christopher Reeve, 2004
- Milton Obote, 2005
- Joan Sutherland, 2010
- Scott Carpenter, 2013
- 43 BC - Lyons, France founded by Lucius Plancus.
- 1639 - First pippin apples eaten in America in Boston.
- 1812 - Fourth Drury Lane Theatre opens in London, eight years after 3rd destroyed by fire; oldest UK theatre.
- 1845 - U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, MD opened.
- 1865 - Billiard ball patented by inventor John Wesley Hyatt.
- 1886 - Griswold Lorillard of Tuxedo Park, NY fashioned the first men's tuxedo - formal wear.
- 1903 - Emmeline Pankhurst begins her quest for female equality in Britain forming Union in Manchester.
- 1911 - Outbreak of Chinese Wuchang revolution led by Li Yang-hung leads to overthrow of Chinese Empire.
- 1933 - Laundry detergent first goes on sale in U.S. grocery stores.
- 1935 - George Gershwin's 'Porgy and Bess' opens in N.Y.
- 1940 - St. Paul's Cathedral in London bombed by Germans.
- 1957 - Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged' published.
- 1971 - London Bridge officially re-opens in - Lake Havasu, Arizona, U.S.A.; total cost $6.9 million.
- 1973 - Spiro Agnew resigns as Vice President over corruption charges; Nixon nominates Gerald Ford VP.
- 1975 - Richard Burton marries Elizabeth Taylor for the second time in Botswana.
- 2010 - Netherlands Antilles in the Caribbean dissolved; Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius islands become special municipalities; Curaçao and Sint Maarten consitutent countries.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Francis Borgia
- Daniel and his companions
- Paulinus of York
- Independence Day Fiji (1970)
- Holiday in China celebrating anniversary of Chinese Revolution
- Double Tenth National Day in Taiwan
- Sports Day in Japan
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...