Born On This Day:
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge, 1772
- Alfred Nobel, 1833
- Stanley Walker, 1898
- Sir Georg Solti, 1912
- Dizzy Gillespie, 1917
- Sir Malcolm Arnold, 1921
- Whitey Ford, 1928
- Ursula Le Guin, 1929
- Georgia Brown, 1933
- Manfred Mann, 1940
- Judge Judy Sheindlin, 1942
- Elvin Bishop, 1942
- Mandy Rice-Davies, 1944
- Benjamin Netanyahu, 1949
- Peter Mandelson, 1953
- Carrie Fisher, 1956
Died On This Day:
- Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson shot, 1805
- Arthur Schnitzler, 1931
- Jack Kerouac, 1969
- John Scopes, 1970
- François Truffaut, 1984
- Dan White suicide, 1985
- James Leo Herlihy, 1993
- Lord (Alan John) Sainsbury, 1998
- George McGovern, 2012
- Ben Bradlee, 2014
- 1097 - The Crusaders first arrive in front of Antioch.
- 1797 - Battleship U.S.S. Constitution, known as 'Old Ironsides' launched in Boston.
- 1803 - Louisiana purchase ratified.
- 1805 - Admiral Nelson wins Battle of Trafalgar against Spanish & French fleets but...(see deaths above).
- 1868 - $3 million damage in San Francisco earthquake starting at 7:53 am and lasting one minute.
- 1879 - Thomas Alva Edison activates switch and turns on the first electric light bulb in Menlo Park, N.J.
- 1909 - Halley's comet sighted from Cambridge observatory.
- 1913 - Camel brand cigarettes introduced to the public by the R.J. Reynolds company.
- 1959 - Guggenheim Museum opens in New York City designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
- 1960 - Obscenity trial of 'Lady Chatterley's Lover' begins in London.
- 1997 - Elton John's 'Candle in the Wind' for Princess Diana certified biggest selling record in history.
Feast Day of Saint:
- John of Bridlington
- Malchus and Tuda
- Fintan of Taghmon
- Ursula and her maidens
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...