Born On This Day:
- King Edward IV, 1442
- James Monroe, 1758
- Karl Kraus, 1874
- Lionel Barrymore, 1878
- António Salazar, 1889
- Alistair MacLean, 1922
- Kenneth Kaunda, 1924
- Harper Lee, 1926
- Blossom Dearie, 1926
- Cy Twombly, 1928
- James Baker, 1930
- Carolyn Jones, 1933
- Saddam Hussein, 1937
- Ann-Margret, 1941
- Alice Waters, 1944
- Jay Leno, 1950
- Penelope Cruz, 1974
Died On This Day:
- Sir Samuel Cunard, 1865
- King Fuad I, 1936
- Luisa Tetrazzini, 1940
- Benito Mussolini executed, 1945
- Ed Begley Sr., 1970
- Francis Bacon, 1992
- 1780 - First recorded advertisement for abortion clinic in London Morning Post.
- 1788 - Maryland admitted to Union becoming 7th of original 13 states to ratify the Constitution.
- 1789 - Mutiny on the Bounty begins. Thirsty crew angry when Captain Bligh uses water for breadfruit plants.
- 1887 - First auto race from Paris to Neuilly and back (19 miles) won by Count De Dion on his De Dion-Bouton et Trepardoux
- 1919 - Leslie Le Roy Irvin makes first freefall parachute jump from a DH-9 over Dayton; broke ankle on fall.
- 1936 - King Farouk ascends throne of Egypt.
- 1947 - Thor Heyerdahl sails from Peru on a balsa raft called Kon-Tiki on 101 day journey to Polynesia.
- 1968 - After a successful run at NY Public Theatre and failure at Cheetah nightclub, 'Hair' opens on Broadway.
- 1969 - Charles de Gaulle resigns as President of France.
- 1986 - Soviets finally reveal nuclear accident at Chernobyl, USSR. Radiation spreads over Europe & Asia.
- 1990 - 'A Chorus Line' finally closes on Broadway after record 6,137 performance run.
- 2001 - LA tycoon Dennis Tito is first tourist in space; pays $20 million to Russians; links with Endeavor.
- 2011 - Killer tornados strike American South; 350 dead, 245 in Alabama; second worst in history.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Paul of the Cross
- Peter Chanel
- Louis Grignion
- PESACH or Passover (Jewish), begins 15th day of lunar month Nisan thru 22nd
- PALM SUNDAY, Sunday before Easter and first day of Holy Week.
- MAUNDY THURSDAY, Thursday before Easter
- GOOD FRIDAY, Friday before Easter
- EASTER (SUNDAY) (March to May) the first Sunday after the first full moon after the veral equinox (March 22-April 25) in Western churches;
- EASTER MONDAY, Monday after Easter.
- CH'ING MING, Festival of Pure Brightness in China (Beginning of second moon (about March 21)
- NAEFELSERFAHRT, Swiss pilgrimage the first Thursday in April to Näfels
- BAISAKHI (in India) or VOISHU (in Kerala) or BOHAG BIHU (in Assam) - (Hindu New Year Festival)
- VESAK (Commemoration of birth, enlightenment and death of Buddha) celebrated Southeast Asia.
- MOTHER'S DAY (U.S.), second Sunday in May
- FESTIVAL OF JOAN OF ARC in France, second Sunday in May
- MEMORIAL DAY (U.S.), Last Monday in May
- MAHAVIR JAYANTI, Indian festival celebrating birth of Lord Mahavira, celebrated early April
- AKSHAYA TRITIYA, Hindu Festival, celebrated late April
- DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME - begins first Sunday in April - clocks forward
- Arbor Day - last Friday in April
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...