Born On This Day:
- King Gustavus Adolphus Sweden, 1594
- John Milton, 1608
- Joel Chandler Harris, 1848
- Clarence Birdseye, 1886
- Hermione Gingold, 1897
- Emmett Kelly, 1898
- Margaret Hamilton, 1902
- Louis Kronenberger, 1904
- Dalton Trumbo, 1905
- Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., 1909
- Broderick Crawford, 1911
- Lee J. Cobb, 1911
- Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, 1915
- Kirk Douglas, 1916
- Redd Foxx, 1922
- Dina Merrill, 1925
- Dick Van Patten, 1928
- John Cassavetes, 1929
- Buck Henry, 1930
- Dame Judi Dench, 1934
- Beau Bridges, 1941
- Dick Butkus, 1942
- Joan Armatrading, 1950
- Donny Osmond, 1953
- John Malkovitch, 1953
Died On This Day:
- King Malcolm IV Scotland, 1165
- Emperor Sigismund, 1437
- Pope Pius IV, 1565
- Van Dyck, 1641
- Dame Edith Sitwell, 1964
- Branch Rickey, 1965
- Ralph Bunche, 1971
- Louella Parsons, 1972
- William Wellman, 1975
- Bishop Fulton J. Sheen, 1979
- Vincent Gardenia, 1992
- Vivian Blaine, 1995
- Archie Moore, 1998
- Gene Barry, 2009
- 1793 - Noah Webster establishes New York's first daily newspaper, American Minerva.
- 1813 - Explorer George Evans discovers the Macquarie River in Australia.
- 1842 - First Christmas card created by William Maw Egley Jr. in England.
- 1854 - Poet Laureate Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem 'The Charge of the Light Brigade' published in the London Examiner.
- 1884 - Levant Richardson of Chicago receives patent on the ball-bearing roller skate.
- 1905 - Richard Strauss's opera Salome first performed in Dresden.
- 1907 - Christmas seals first go on sale in Wilmington, Delaware.
- 1917 - Jerusalem (under Turkish rule) taken by British under General Allenby; WW1
- 1940 - Longines Watch Company becomes first advertiser to sponsor FM radio broadcasting.
- 1941 - China declares war against Japan, Germany and Italy, WWII.
- 1958 - The John Birch Society organized.
- 1960 - Long run British soap opera Coronation Street premieres on Granada Television (now ITV). Still playing 2011.
- 1963 - Studebaker car plant closes in South Bend IN.
- 1968 - The computer mouse prototype unveiled by inventor Doug Engelbart; red clicker on wooden box.
- 2001 - Taliban's 5-year rule in Afghanistan comes to official end as Hamid Karzai rides into Kandahar.
- 2002 - United Airlines files for bankruptcy.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Budoc or Beuzec
- Hipparchus and Philotheus
- Peter Fourier, and the 7 Martyrs of Samosata
- Independence Day (1961) and Republic Day (1962) in Tanzania
- ADVENT SUNDAY, Sunday nearest to feast of Saint Andrew (Nov. 30) whether before or after.
- CHANUKKA (Jewish Feast of Lights), eight day holiday beginning on 25th day of lunar month Kislev.
- TSAO CHÜN, Festival of the Kitchen God in China (23rd day of the twelfth moon (or 24th in Kwantung)
- CH'U HSI, Night of the Thirtieth (29th day of the twelfth moon)
- KWANZAA - African American Heritage celebrated December 26 - January 1
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...