Born On This Day:
- King Henry III, 1207
- Czar Paul I, 1754
- William Edward Boeing, 1881
- Stanley Holloway, 1890
- Vladimir Horowitz, 1903
- Everett Sloane, 1909
- Fletcher Knebel, 1911
- Daniel J. Boorstin, 1914
- Walter Matthau, 1920
- James Whitmore, 1921
- William Rehnquist, 1924
- Jimmy Carter, 1924
- Tom Bosley, 1927
- George Peppard, 1928
- Laurence Harvey, 1928
- Richard Harris, 1930
- Julie Andrews, 1935
- Edward Villella, 1936
- Stella Stevens, 1936
- Rod Carew, 1945
- Stephen Collins, 1947
- Randy Quaid, 1950
- Mark McGwire, 1963
Died On This Day:
- Pierre Corneille, 1684
- Dr. Louis Leakey, 1972
- Edgar Bergen, 1978
- E.B. White, 1985
- Curtis LeMay, 1990
- Walter Annenberg, 2002
- Richard Avedon, 2004
- Tom Clancy, 2013
- 2016 BC - Era of Abraham, start of the Jewish calendar, begins according to Roman historian Eusebius.
- 331 BC - Alexander the Great wins major victory over Darius III of Persia in Battle of Gaugamela (now Iraq).
- 1795 - Belgium incorporated into French Republic.
- 1800 - Spain sells Louisiana to France; secret treaty of St. Ildefonso reverses 1762 Treaty of Fontainebleau. 1810-America's first agricultural fair opens in Pittsfield, Mass.
- 1843 - The News of the World, England's popular Sunday gossip rag, first published.
- 1846 - Blizzard strikes Sierra Nevada stranding 87 members of Donner party migrating West.
- 1846 - Times of London publishes discovery in Berlin on September 23rd of planet Neptune.
- 1868 - St. Pancras train station opens in London near Kings Cross.
- 1889 - World's first sex education course at Abbotsholene School in England.
- 1903 - Beginning of first World Series of baseball. Boston beats Philly 5 games to 3 for championship.
- 1908 - First Model T Ford hits U.S. market; first car with left-side steering seats 2; to sell for $850.
- 1918 - T.E. Lawrence and Arabs enter Damascus.
- 1927 - Fritz von Opel gets 'shot into the air' and flies a mile near Frankfurt in rocket-propelled airplane.
- 1928 - Dow Jones Industrial List of stocks expanded to 30.
- 1936 - Generalissimo Francisco Franco becomes dictator of Spain.
- 1937 - Marihuana (note spelling of 1937) Tax Stamp Act Enacted; Federal Tax must be paid on sale of drug.
- 1938 - German Troops enter Czechoslovakia.
- 1942 - First propeller-less jet-propelled airplane, Bell's Airacomet, first flown at test base in Muroc, CA.
- 1949 - Mao Tse Tung and Red army enter Peking in triumph; People's Republic of China born.
- 1957 - John Osborne's 'Look Back in Anger' starts 407 performance run on Broadway.
- 1961 - Roger Maris of the NY Yankees beats Babe Ruth's 60 home run record by hitting his 61st.
- 1964 - FCC (Federal Communications Commission) rules that all presidential candidates must get equal time.
- 1970 - Funeral of Egyptian President Gamel Abedel Nasser attended by five million in Cairo.
- 1971 - Disney World opens to disappointing business in Orlando, FL.
- 1985 - Israeli planes fly 1,500 miles to bomb PLO headquarters in Tunis.
- 1988 - Mikhail Gorbachev becomes Chairman of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet.
- 1994 - Baseball players strike becomes longest work stoppage in pro sports history; no world series.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Gregory the Enlightener
- Nicetius of Trier
- Romanus the Melodist
- Independence Day Nigeria (1960)
- National Holiday in China commemorating formation of Central People's Government in 1949
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...