Born On This Day:
- King Henry V of England, 1387
- J. C. Penney, 1875
- Sir Alexander Korda, 1893
- Allen Funt, 1914
- Laurence J. Peter, 1919
- Janis Paige, 1922
- Lauren Bacall, 1924
- Charlie Byrd, 1925
- B. B. King, 1925
- Peter Falk, 1927
- Tony Trabert, 1930
- Anne Francis, 1930
- Elgin Baylor, 1934
- Rosemary Casals, 1948
- Ed Begley, Jr., 1949
- David Copperfield, 1956
- Mickey Rourke, 1956
- Orel Hershiser, 1958
- Jennifer Tilly, 1958
Died On This Day:
- Saint/Pope Martin I, AD 655
- Torquemada, 1498
- Gabriel Daniel Fahrenheit, 1736
- Louis XVIII France, 1824
- Edward Whymper, 1911
- Marc Bolan killed, 1977
- Maria Callas, 1977
- Jean Piaget, 1980
- McGeorge Bundy, 1996
- 1620 - 'Mayflower' with 102 Pilgrim fathers sails from Plymouth, England under Captain Myles Standish.
- 1630 - Shawmut, Massachusetts renamed Boston.
- 1810 - Mexicans revolt against Spanish rule.
- 1824 - Charles X succeeds Louis XVIII.
- 1850 - Slave trade forbidden in District of Columbia.
- 1859 - David Livingston discovers Lake Nyasa.
- 1908 - William Crapo Durant of Flint founds General Motors using Buick as a base to acquire other companies.
- 1963 - Malasia created.
- 1966 - World's largest opera house, Metropolitan Opera, opens at Lincoln Center, NY.
- 1978 - Earthquake registering 7.7 kills 25,000 people in Tabas, Iran.
- 1992 - Black Wednesday in Britain; frenzied selling of sterling raises interest rates up to 15%.
- 1998 - Microsoft passes GE to become America's biggest company with a market value of $262 billion.
- 2004 - After decimating the Caribbean, Hurricane Ivan (the Terrible) slams into Mobile, Alabama; 2.3 million evacuated.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Edith of Wilton
- Independence Day Mexico (1810) Papua New Guinea (1975)
- Old People's Day celebrated in Japan
- Stepfamily Day celebrated in US since 1997
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...