Born On This Day:
- Jacques Offenbach, 1819
- Helen Traubel, 1899
- Lillian Hellman, 1905
- Errol Flynn, 1909
- Audie Murphy, 1924
- Chet Atkins, 1924
- Olympia Dukakis, 1931
- Danny Aiello, 1933
- Brian Wilson, 1942
- Anne Murray, 1945
- Andre Watts, 1946
- Lionel Ritchie, 1950
- John Goodman, 1952
- Cyndi Lauper, 1953
- Nicole Kidman, 1967
Died On This Day:
- King William IV, 1837
- Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel shot dead, 1947
- Arthur Caesar, 1953
- Herbert Bayard Swope, 1958
- Lee De Forest, 1961
- Bernard Baruch, 1965
- Leroy Neiman, 2012
- 1756 - 'Black Hole of Calcutta' (imprisonment of 146 Englishmen by Nawab of Bengal in small cell); 123 died.
- 1782 - Great Seal of the United States Government, designed by William Barton, adopted.
- 1789 - -'Oath of the Tennis Court' non-privileged classes vow never to separate until a constitution established. (French Revolution)
- 1837 - Victoria becomes Queen of England on death of William IV; to reign for 63 years 216 days.
- 1863 - West Virginia 35th state admitted to Union.
- 1866 - Italy declares war on Austria.
- 1893 - Axe murderer Lizzy Borden found not guilty by jury in Fall River, Mass. She axed dad and mom.
- 1895 - Caroline Baldwin is first woman to be granted a Doctor of Science Degree in the U.S. from Cornell.
- 1898 - Spanish island of Guam surrenders to U.S. Navy. Spanish American War.
- 1948 - Deutchmark introduced in Germany.
- 1948 - Premiere of Ed Sullivan Show on CBS Television.
- 1960 - Floyd Patterson regains World heavyweight boxing championship; KO's Ingemar Johansson in NY.
- 1975 - 'Jaws,' directed by Steven Spielberg, opens; to become box office champ of the '70s.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Adalbert of Magdeburg
- SAVITRI-VRATA, Hindu Festival for women
- TANO FESTIVAL (Korea) on 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- TUAN WU CHIEH or Dragon Boat Festival (China) 5th day of 5th lunar month.
- SHAVUOT or Feast of Weeks (Jewish), on 6th or 7th of lunar month Sivan.
- ASCENSION (Christian) 40th day after Easter.
- PENTECOST (Christian) or Whitsunday (Anglican) 50 days after Easter.
- TRINITY SUNDAY (Christian), Sunday after Pentecost.
- CORPUS CHRISTI (Christian), Thursday after Trinity Sunday.
- FATHER'S DAY (U.S.) Third Sunday in June.
- ARANYA SHASHTI, Hindu Festival honoring god of the forest
- RATHA YATRA, Hindu Festival of Car Procession of Vishnu
- CHI HSI, Festival of the Milky Way in China (seventh day of the seventh moon)
- CHUNG YÜAN, Festival of the Dead in China (fifteenth day of the seventh moon)
- GAY AND LESBIAN PRIDE DAY - Last Sunday in June
- CHAGU-CHAGU UMAKKO or horse Festival in Morioka celebrated second Saturday in June
- HARE KRISHNA RATHA YATRA CHARIOT CARNIVAL celebrated 3rd week in June.
- AMBUBACHI MELA Festival at Kamakhya temple in Guwahati, India celebrated third week in June for 5 days
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...