Born On This Day:
- James Beattie, 1735
- Johann Strauss (the younger), 1825
- Georges Bizet, 1838
- Pablo Picasso, 1881
- Abel Gance, 1889
- Henry Steele Commager, 1902
- Minnie Pearl, 1912
- Klaus Barbie, 1913
- John Berryman, 1914
- Barbara Cook, 1927
- Tony Franciosa, 1928
- Jay Chiat, 1931
- Anne Tyler, 1941
- Helen Reddy, 1941
- James Carville, 1944
Died On This Day:
- Geoffrey Chaucer, 1400
- King George II, 1760
- Bat Masterson, 1921
- Roger Miller, 1936
- Lord Dunsany, 1957
- Albert Anastasia murdered, 1958
- Richard Brautigan suicide, 1984
- Mary McCarthy, 1989
- Bill Graham, 1991
- Vincent Price, 1993
- Mildred Natwick, 1994
- Bobby Riggs, 1995
- Richard Harris, 2002
- 1147 - Turks ambush and decimate warriors of the Second Crusade near Dory Laevin.
- 1415 - Battle of Agincourt-Victory of English under Henry V's 5,000 over French 25,000! 100 years war.
- 1616 - Dutch sailor/explorer Dirk Hartog lands on western coast of Australia.
- 1760 - George III becomes King on death of George II; to reign for over 59 years.
- 1854 - Charge of the Light Brigade at Balaklava, Crimean War (British French & Turkey vs. Russia.)
- 1874 - Britain annexes Fiji Islands.
- 1900 - Transvaal formally annexed to Britain at Pretoria.
- 1939 - 'The Time of Your Life' starts 185 Pulitzer-prize winning performance in NY.
- 1948 - Hepatitus virus identified for first time.
- 1956 - Adolf Hitler declared dead by German Federal Republic.
- 1956 - Arab military pact puts Egypt in command of Syrian, Jordan and Egyptian forces.
- 1971 - U.N. General Assembly votes to admit mainland China and expel Taiwan.
- 1972 - Susan Roley and Joanne Pierce become first women FBI agents.
- 1983 - Ronald Reagan sends 2,000 U.S. troops invade Grenada to boot out Marxist government.
- 1990 - Evander Holyfield KO's Buster Douglas in the third round for undisputed world heavyweight title.
- 2010 - Earthquake and tsunami off coast of Sumatra kills 400.
- 2010 - Mount Merapi, (Mountain of Fire) in Indonesia erupts three times and continues erupting with a big one on 5 November; 122 dead.
Feast Day of Saint:
- Crispin and Crispinian
- John of Beverly
- Chrysanthus and Daria
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CHI'U CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- DIVALI (India) five day autumn festival.
- BHRATRI DWITYA, Hindu Festival of Brothers
- RAMADAN, Muslim holy month
- CHILD HEALTH DAY - first Monday in October in USA
- COLUMBUS DAY - first Monday in October
- DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME ENDS - last Sunday in October set clocks back
- MOTHER-IN-LAW DAY - celebrated fourth Sunday in October in US
- NATIONAL CHILDREN'S DAY - second Sunday in October in USA
- THANKSGIVING DAY IN CANADA - second Monday in October
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...