Born On This Day:
- Louis XIII France, 1601
- Samuel Adams, 1722
- Thomas Nast, 1840
- Edward Noyes Westcott, 1846
- George Raft, 1895
- Sam Ervin, 1896
- Vincent Youmans, 1898
- Louis Auchincloss, 1917
- Arthur Penn, 1922
- William Conrad, 1922
- Jayne Meadows, 1926
- Greg Morris, 1934
- Wilford Brimley, 1934
- Dith Pran, 1942
- Meat Loaf, 1947
- Cheryl Tiegs, 1947
- Peter Sellars, 1957
- Shaun Cassidy, 1958
Died On This Day:
- Pope Urban VII, 1590
- St. Vincent de Paul, 1660
- Pope Innocent XII, 1700
- Rémy de Gourmont, 1915
- Edgar Degas, 1917
- Englebert Humperdinck, 1921
- Aimee Semple McPherson OD, 1944
- Babe Zaharias, 1956
- Clara Bow, 1965
- Gracie Fields, 1979
- Robert Montgomery, 1981
- Lloyd Nolan, 1985
- Gen. Jimmy Doolittle, 1993
- Donald O'Connor, 2003
- William Safire, 2009
- 1777 - Battle of Germantown starts; George Washington suffers another British defeat.
- 1825 - First public steam railroad opens in England by George Stephenson; first time locomotive pulls train.
- 1852 - George Aiken's version of Harriet Beecher Stowe's 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' starts 100 performance run.
- 1892 - 'Book matches' patented by Joshua Pusey of Lima, PA.
- 1920 - Earthquake in China. 100,000 die.
- 1937 - First school for Santa Claus' opens in Albion, NY. Six students apply.
- 1938 - HMS Queen Elizabeth launched.
- 1939 - Warsaw, Poland surrenders to invading Nazis after 19 days of heroic struggle. WWII
- 1954 - First late night TV talk show, NBC's 'Tonight!' starring Steve Allen, premieres.
- 1960 - First moving sidewalk, the 'Travelator' begins moving at Bank underground station, London.
- 1964 - Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone in the assassination of JFK according to Warren Commission Report.
- 2006 - French doctors perform first operation on a human in zero gravity during a flight from Bordeaux; arm tumor removed.
Feast Day of Saint:
- JANAM (OR JANMA) ASHTAMI, Hindu Birthday Festival of Krishna
- ANANT CHATURDASI, Hindu Eternal Anniversary of 14th day of Month Bhaedra
- LABOR DAY (U.S. and Canada) First Monday in September.
- CH'UNG YANG, Festival of High Places in China (ninth day of the ninth moon)
- BIRTHDAY OF KRSNA. (Hindu)
- CHUSOK (Korea) on day of full moon of eighth lunar month.
- ROSH HASHANA (Jewish New Year) first and second days of lunar month Tishri.
- YOM KIPPUR (Jewish Day of Atonement) tenth day of lunar month Tishri.
- SUKKOTH (Jewish Feast of Tabernacles) 15th day of lunar month Tishri - five days after Yom Kippur
- SIMCHAT TORAH (Jewish Rejoicing of the Law) 23rd day of Tishri
- DURGA-PUJA (Hindu festival of Goddess Durga)
- PITRA PASKSHA and AMAVASYA, Hindu Feast of the Dead.
- LAKSHMI PUJA, Hindu Festival of the Goddess of Fortune
- CHUNG CH'IU CHIEH (Chinese mid-autumn festival) 15th day of 8th lunar month.
- OWARA KAZE NO BON, HACHIMAN & DOBUROKU MATSURI harvest festivals in Japan
- NATIONAL GRANDPARENTS' DAY - first Sunday after Labor Day in USA
- NATIVE AMERICAN DAY - fourth Friday in September in US
- RAMADAN, Muslim Holy Month
About These Tools
An introduction to Events-Day-by-Day by Larry Belling. More...
Buy Events Day-By-Day for PalmOS. More...